Sunday, August 24, 2008

Getting Started with "Fierce Tenderness..."

...Courageous Intimacy with the Conditioned Mind." Coming from a "fierce" Judeo-Christian backround, I'm perhaps more than a trifle hesitant. Yet from my limited experience with Ginny Morgan, as well as Buddhism itself, I think I'll be able to relax, at least enough to get me thru the weekend. Ginny strikes me as a very gentle person.
Still these word-choices: "fierce", "courageous", "intimacy"...all challenging, if not downright scary, words. And this isn't pop-culture advertising its wares, its from a tradition I'm slowly growing to trust. Another word, "suffering", is a word I tend to flip-flop over. Should the first
noble truth be translated as "Life is difficult" or "...challenging"? My preference is the latter, and I'm sure other retreatants will have their favorite words. Whatever we choose, may it ring true with our deeply held beliefs, whatever we hold to be most true.

3 comments:

Keith Al said...

Don't understand why Jon &/or Bridget won't broadcast this blog to the retreatants.

Setting aside "fierce tenderness" as fierce seems too strong an adjective -at least for the moment - to ever describe this intimate and vulnerable emotion. Sounds like it could be used to describe a side of beef, tho. zzzzz

Now courage is something I'm familiar with, mainly because I've felt fear first & foremost. It was only after I felt the tightness in my arms, chest, facial muscles, as well as a coldness in my face, that I had to do something that I typically don't do, i.e. exercise courage. "Typically" because depressions, as well as various ambitions rule my days. Either life is too overwhelming or I have some goal to achieve to distract me from my banal and sometimes chaotic mind. So judging from the retreat's title, I suppose I should expect fear? Last time I was on a weekend retreat, frustration ruled as my expectaions of my self weren't met. I had this subconscious notion that it was a waste of time. Finding peace, let alone joy, thru a 3-day intensity was next to impossible. I believed I was too angry a person to do the retreat properly. Gratefully Ginny's retreat isn't residential. I'll have the opportunity, if I want, to play my guitar or make use of other diversions should the tool of meditation and Ginny's offerings not "do the trick."

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that Jon mentioned this blog. Now if anyone has time? (unlike me who's on disablity-leave and has *way* too much time)

Now if I can get this d**n blog to work right. It never seems to acknowledge my ID or account.

Anonymous said...

Hi Keith! I think this Blog is a great idea .. add me as an author and I will post to it as well.

I am signed up for the retreat and if you want you can check out my personal blog which is about my Buddhist practice:
http://gheather.blogspot.com/

Namaste .... heather